Saturday, January 14, 2006

it just ain't right, that's all


does anyone else find it disturbing when a dog sits on its butt like a person?
...me too.

Sorry about the long absence. We were kind of overwhelmed by the holiday season this past year. But we are slowly resuming all of our normal activities (including blogging) and even adding a few new ones.

Yesterday, bryan hurt his back playing basket ball, and since then I have been listening to him whine like an old man about how much it hurts nursing him to health like any dutiful good wife would. Unfortunately, since he is out of commission, and I suck at walking bean (i am, however, excellent at getting dragged around the neighborhood by her while she chases every squirrel, bird, or leaf that crosses our path) bean has been a little...neglected.

No walks = crazy dog. Crazy dog = no rest for anyone in the house.

So today, we woke up (after she attempted to take the mini-blinds off of the bedroom windows, in what i can only assume was some sort of effort to get us to realize that JESUS GAY! IT'S TEN O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING ALREADY!!! GET UP GET UP GETUP!!!) and drove out to a really awesome dogpark that we had never been to.

Bean was in dog-heaven.

The weather was pretty crappy today, and Bryan was worried that there wouldn't be any other dogs out. There were dozens of dogs. Bean has never seen that many other dogs at once. For the first minute or two, she just stood there. In awe. Then after a few more minutes of obligatory butt-sniffing and soft growls to establish the pack order, she was off. She ran and ran and ran and ran. She chased. She was chased. She was particularly delighted that every human she ran up to gave her a smile and a rub and told she was "such a pretty girl!" (That doesn't often happen to us. It takes a certain kind of person I guess to see Bean running up with a big smile on her face and not run screaming "ATTACK PIT BULL! ATTACK PIT BULL!!!"... A dog person.)

We came home. We all napped. We are just now getting up because we are waiting for the delivery guy to bring our food.

It's been a good day.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Glad to hear from you again! The pic of Bean was so cute. My lab sits like sometimes, too, and it really cracks me up. I'm too chicken to take Sampson to a dog park. Plus, we spent almost $4K on two knee surgeries last year so we can't really afford for him to get injured!

IndyPindy said...

That does sound like a good day Bean! I'm sorry your dad hurt his back :(

I LOVE LOVE LOVE doggie day camp. And I love having play dates with other Huskies! It's the best.

rebecca said...

indy,

Doggy day camp? That sure is cool! Does your mom drop you off in the morning on her way to work? Our dog park is way out of the way, so that's not an option for me.

I'd love to go to the doggy park everyday, but i'm not sure how to get there by myself. And the bus routes are really hard to figure out!

bean

Amstaffie said...

Cool Bean! It sounds like you had a GREAT time at the dog park. I feel ya on the reactions from people. A guy washing cars at our neighbors came walking in our yard and was going to ask if we wanted ours washed when I was just a pup of 4 months and my mommie didn't have me on a leash, because I was staying close by. The guy saw me and got scared, turned, & ran, so I started running along with him because I thought we were racing! I didn't know he was scared of little ol' me. My mommie just laughed and laughed and laughed. I just wanted to be petted.

~Woof!
Storm