Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Profile shot

Here is a nice shot of Bean in my back yard scanning for squirrels. She is lovely in profile, isn't she? As you can see, there is a huge old tree in the middle of the yard. There must be hundreds of squirrels that live in that tree. And every one of them has tormented Bean at one time or another. Their newest trick is to climb out to the end of a branch and fall. That's right. They just fall to the ground with a loud thud! and then tear off for the tree trunk as fast as they can.

Uhhh. Where'd he go? Where'd he go!!! Let me at 'em!!!

As you can imagine, this drives Bean absolutely insane. By the time she focuses on one of them, it is already too close to the tree for her to get it, and in the meantime, the next one has jumped. It's pretty much the craziest thing I've ever seen squirrels do. Kind of like a real-life version of Whac-A-Mole. Either they have a death wish, or they are confident in the knowledge that Bean is the Worst. Hunter. Ever.

She doesn't so much as glance at me during this, even when I open the gate. Like this past weekend, when I needed to go inside and grab a sweater. Nothing. I did not even exist to her. But when I came back? It was a whole different story.

Hi mom!! I missed you!!! Don't ever leave me again, OK?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bean IS lovely in profile! I have been enjoying your blog but this is the first time I have posted a comment. How funny about the squirrels (those darn things).

Camilla (my own lovely pibble) is tormented regularly by blue jays. She has spent literally hours in one day going back and forth between two trees while those naughty birds tease her. She LIVES for the day she catches one. She may rival Bean in her alleged lack of hunting skills. But if she ever does catch one I can hardly begrudge her the pleasure she is bound to feel although I, for my part, don't look forward to it happening.

I enjoy your blog so much, and love the pictures of Bean, who is beautiful. I'm so happy she was successfully rescued from her recent abduction and is once again home safe and sound.

Annette and Camilla

rebecca said...

Annette and Camilla,

What a lovely comment! We are so glad you enjoy Bean's blog. She has brought us so much joy and I am only too happy to share it with others.

I wouldn't worry about Camilla catching a blue jay. If she is anything like Bean, she is much too clumsy to sneak up on anything!

Rebecca and Bean (and Bryan)