Monday, April 30, 2007

Project Bionic Leg: 3 days till surgery

I am starting to get nervous, y'all. Not about the money (thank goodness!!). We have 97% of what we need, and I am sure the rest will trickle in. But, I just got off the phone with the vet hospital where Bean will have her surgery. I had called to make sure I understood her pre-op instructions. You know - when we should stop her food and meds, what to bring on the day of surgery, that kind of thing. The lady on the phone was really nice. Everyone there has been very nice, which is comforting. But when I asked what time we could come back and pick up our Bean, she informed me that Bean will have to be dropped off on Thursday morning, and picked up on Friday afternoon.

Can you spot the problem? Anyone??

I have to leave my baby all alone in the hospital overnight!!!!!!!!!!! I am a little freaked out by this. The woman on the phone assured me that she would be fine. There is an after-hours pet Emergency Center that is run out of the clinic at night, so she will not technically be alone in the building. And they will check on her. And I am sure they are all qualified and professional and everything, but they are NOT her MOMMY! I swear, if they would let me bunk down on the floor beside her crate in there, I'd do it. I mean, wouldn't you?

Today's photo:
How could you leave me all alone and afraid? How?! Don't you know what that will do to my sense of security? You DO want me to grow up to be well-adjusted doggie, without "issues", don't you?

4 comments:

Brandi Mills said...

It's good that they want to keep Bean overnight.

I used to be a vet tech and anytime an animal had any kind of surgery, we always kept them overnight. If it's like where I worked, there will be someone there to check on any animals that have had surgery.

It's good for them to be there so that in case anything goes wrong during the night the vet will be right there.

Most animals will sleep through, anyway. Surgery tires them out and she'll be on pain meds.

I know you're going to worry - any good Mommy would - but I would be fretting if they DIDN'T want to keep her overnight. Personally, I've dropped vets who didn't keep a pet overnight - it told me that they didn't care as much as I wanted them to care.

-China's mom (Brandi)

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

The first time you have to leave them overnight is the worst. I don't know your vet's policies, but I was actually able to visit Vincent in the evening after most of his surgeries.

R&T Mom

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you have just about reached your goal.
I will be thinking about Bean's Mom and Dad and praying for Bean on Thursday.
Bean is a strong, beautiful girl-she will do just fine.
GrandmaBecker

rebecca said...

Thanks guys. This is all very reassuring. I guess I am just nervous because this is the first time we have left her in the hospital over night. Brandi, it was really good to read your comment. I am a med student, and I would never want to send a patient home before I was sure it was safe. So I guess I should look at it from the point of view of the surgeon, and not just from the point of view of the mommy.

Thanks for the support. You all are truly a blessing!

Rebecca