Monday, February 25, 2008

Back on the streets

Because walking Bean is a lot like walking a Clydesdale, she wears a Gentle Leader when we go out. Like most dogs, Bean despises wearing this thing. The first time I put it on her, she thrashed around the living room for 20 minutes, rolling around on her back and pawing at her face to try to take it off. So we were not surprised to hear that, within hours of getting away from the man who stole her, Bean was spotted wondering around without her Gentle Leader and leash. I am sure the first order of business after getting free of him was to roll around and paw at her face until she finally got that thing off. Now that she is back (Yay!!!), I have bought her a brand new leash and head collar. She was none too happy when we pulled it out and put it on her.

Damn you!!! How did you find this??? I thought I threw it in the creek...I'll have to find a better hiding place next time...maybe in that dumpster over there...

Even with the collar, Bean is very happy to be back patrolling the neighborhood like usual. Now all the residents can sleep soundly, knowing that they are protected from squirrels, cats, blowing leaves, plastic grocery bags, the wind, and everything else that Bean thinks is suspicious.

Also, Bryan wrote a wonderful article in which he discusses what the search for Bean taught him about community organizing. It can be found in multiple places, including here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bean...I know what you mean bout that collar thingy. My mommy takes my regular collar off when inside and lets me run free. I can't stand anything on me. I try to catch it in my mouth so she can't put it over my head but she always win. Nice picture of you proctecting your hood. Strut girl, stut.
TJ

Anonymous said...

Team Beaners - FYI from Duke Park mailing list:

Missing White Pit Puppy
Someone stole a white pit puppy from in front of 108 markham ave today. If someone sees it or has seen someone leaving or walking around with the dog (boy) please email me at danvillecan@yahoo.com

There's a photo posted - shows what appears to be solid white pup - all legs - sweet inquisitive face.

This stuff breaks my heart.

Anonymous said...

Bean, so happy that you're back safe and sound with your parents. I think they probably feel so grateful every time they look at you hogging the bed, drooling on their knees and all the other wonderfully cute things I'm sure you must do.
Try telling them to try a "Sensible" harness on you instead of that icky head halter. They work great--even for really strong dogs who tend to try to leap at things unexpectedly (plus people don't think you're wearing a muzzle). You can order them online from SitStay.com, I think. Oh, and make sure they don't get a Premier harness which looks similar but has a slidy thing called a martingale on the front. Those don't work nearly as well.
Happy squirrel hunting!