Monday, February 18, 2008

Passing the Hat for Bean!!

Are you still giddy from the news that we have found our Bean?? Do you want to make that feeling last a little longer??? Can you spare five dollars?? Then this post is about you!!!

In the last days of Bean's disappearance, there was talk on this blog in the comments about us increasing the reward, and that some folks out there would be willing to help donate for us to do so.

Well, the good news is that there was no need to take such drastic measures. The less good news is that even with the reward set to $1000, that is way more than we actually have. Our thought process went like this: "We will cross that bridge when we get to it, and PLEASE GOD let us get to that bridge!!" In fact, at this moment we owe most of that amount to the various friends who ran off scrambling with their ATM cards trying to get the cash together yesterday afternoon.

There are many costs of getting her back which either cannot be recovered or we will come up with the money on our own for, including: the HUNDREDS of hours put in by us and everyone involved in the search, the astronomical copying costs of making thousands of fliers, and the vet costs (which we are hoping won't be too bad!) for getting her back to her usual excellent health. But we are really hoping it is not too much to ask for more support in this one last thing.

So, I have set up a campaign where YOU (yes you!) can donate and make this happen! There is a little icon in the top right of this page, which you can click on to donate (via Paypal). You don't even have to have a Paypal account to donate, just a credit/debit card. There is a progress bar so we can all watch as we reach this goal.

I have done some math (which is really painful to do post-exam, by the way), and figured out that the following scenarios will all get us to the $1000 goal:

1) Every person who has checked this blog during the past week donates ONE dollar

2) Every person who was involved in the search in some small way (from putting up a flier to combing the streets for Bean) donates FIVE dollars

3) Every person who wanted to help, but because of time/distance (hello out-of-state Bean fans!) constraints were limited to praying and hitting the refresh button on this page every 3.6 minutes donates TEN dollars.

4) Oprah Winfrey (a well-known dog lover) sees this, checks the cup holder in one of her cars for loose change, and donates ONE THOUSAND dollars

Which will it be? Stay tuned to find out!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandmabecker here. I so glad there is a happy ending!!!
I didnt see the link to donate.
Please tell this old woman where it is and I will help again. I dont know why, I just fell in love the first time I saw her face.

rebecca said...

Hi GrandmaBecker!!

There is a little tan box with a blue stripe across the top on the right side of Bean's page. It should be at the very top of the page. I hope it is showing up! If not, I had better check the code...Just let me know.

You are the most awesome doggie Grandma ever! Bean says thank you :)

Anonymous said...

FYI, the donate box is in a different place depending on whether I am on my work or home computer. Try checking near the bottom of the page as well.

Anonymous said...

Just scroll down to the bottom. IT's a glitch in the html.

I did my part! Let's hope Oprah puts down the chicken legs and donates too!

Anonymous said...

I found it. Thanks for the help!
Hope all goes well at the vets.
Have you contacted the newspaper with Beans recovery story? I bet there are readers out there that saw her story and would like to know there is a happy ending and maybe they would like to donate too.
Sending all warm thoughts from COLD Michigan!
Grandmabecker

Kelly Phillips said...

Robin,

I think I left my red leash in your truck on Saturday. E-mail me if you find it! kmrider@gmail.com

Thanks! -Kelly

Robin said...

Hey Kelly- thx for posting a comment! I wasn't sure how I was going to ever find you again except at a Bean searcher reunion party! Call me on my cell at 621-8221 and we can make arrangements for me to return it to you.

Anonymous said...

I think Bean's saga is definitely an Oprah story (which would make Durham happy on many counts, especially that guy downtown who has been proclaiming his wish for Oprah's presence forever). Let's do it!

Anonymous said...

My daughter told me Bean had been found, she's a friend of Tracy G. Made a contribution, tell everyone it's at the very bottom of the blog page. Keep her close and give her lots of kisses, I'm very happy for you!

Jan Price said...

Karl of the Cat Realm left a message on JFF last night that Bean was found. We didn't know who Bean is, but we posted her return along with a dog's named Baby. Today Karl left us Bean's url and we came by to check on her.

We just read the story from last to first. What a nightmare! We are do glad you have your dog back and you've had so much help finding her.

Jan's Funny Farm

Anonymous said...

omigosh, you posted this 4.5 hours ago, and you are almost there. Now THAT is inspiring on a whole different level.