Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tuesday 7:44 pm

It's kind of a sad evening around here.

This is the first day since she was taken that there has not been a sighting of Bean called in. The last she was seen was last night on the trail that runs through the woods behind our house. It's also raining, and that means that Bean is out there in the rain somewhere. I hope she has found someplace dry and warm.

Late this afternoon, there was apparently a dog bite incident on the other side of downtown. Rumor has it it was a pit bull. A brindle one, so it doesn't sound like Bean (I would also be shocked to hear that she is biting now). However, it is being said that animal control picked up that dog as well as several others that were running with it. It is possible that Bean has fallen in with a bad crowd, and that she got thrown in the slammer with the biter. But we can't know until tomorrow when the shelter opens.

Tonight, a very sweet woman who works with a local animal rescue lent us a humane dog trap. It looks like a very long wire dog crate. The door swings up, and stays propped up until it is triggered. At the other end of the trap, there is a little platform that is about 1 inch off the ground. If you put food on the far end of the trap, on the other side of the platform, then the dog would have to step on the platform to get the food. The second the platform is pressed down, the door slams shut.

I am currently frying Beef and Cheddar-filled sausages. Since neither of us eats red meat, it is kind of disgusting. But hopefully it will be irresistible to Bean. Of course, you have to check the trap very often, since you don't want the dog to be trapped in the cage for very long. They don't like it at all and start freaking out.

We are going to set the trap on the trail she was seen on last night, and then camp out nearby. I wonder how many other strays that aren't Bean we will catch!

Wish us luck. Will post an update later on, before I go to bed.

Rebecca

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

my friend mouse and I took off this afternoon for a lunch break and drove the streets of durham.I live in efland and was working from home, I told mouse get ready I am riding to durham we going to look. even took some dog biscuts with me we were so hoping to just see her. no such luck, I think we were out there at least two hours. ended up at the dog park. we dont want the reward we just want bean home...and yes it is raining now... I have two dogs and i don't know what I would do if i was in this situation....go home bean...mommy is waiting for you...

Anonymous said...

Hello Rebecca and Byran,

My name is Eve Nelson, with A New Leash on Life. I wanted to tell you guys that Briony and I have been coming after work both days looking for Bean. I have been also coming in the morning around 6:30-8:00, before work, just hoping to find her. Keep your head up. You have a lot of people looking for her. Today we put more signs out, calling for Bean. So many people stopped and asked "Are you looking for Bean, we are too." So you have a lot of support. Since there is rain she is probably hiding. Make sure you go by the shelter tomorrow morning, she could have been one of the dogs picked up by animal control. If not we keep looking. A New Leash On Life is here for you during this time and are going to help in finding Bean. We love you guys and you are in our prayers.

Sincerely,

Eve Nelson
(with A New Leash on Life)
eve.nelson@dpsnc.net

Anonymous said...

I plan on driving around that area in the morning, I also am not interested in the reward, just would like to see her home. (Not to mention some form of punishment for the guy that stole her in the first place)

Anonymous said...

Byran and Rebecca
I wish I could say something to help. Bean has and will be in my prayers.
I wish I was there so I could help look for her. I feel like she is a member of my family.
Grandmabecker

Anonymous said...

Keep the faith! I did the same thing as Patti at lunchtime today - I went looking in the northgate park area for Bean. It seems that there are lots of dog-loving, non-reward-seeking eyes open for your girl.

Anonymous said...

hey guys,
sorry for the not-great weather tip earlier...looks like durham is getting more rain than expected after all. the good news is that it'll still be off-and-on, and it'll be warm and somewhat tropical in nature...so she'll be staying warm, and maybe take one of the breaks in the rain to come get some yummy sausages and find her way back to you...thinking of you guys and sending bean-come-home thoughts and prayers your way...
love,
kelly

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add that my co-worker and I both went looking for Bean today after work - I drove, she walked trails with a buddy.

Although it may be highly unlikely, I have put a bowl of dog food on my covered front porch in the event that Bean is in the area and hungry and smells food (Im in the Northgate neighborhood). Stray dogs always seem to end up at our house if they are on our street - I guess drawn by the smell of our two big dogs. If somebody shows up out there to eat, the dogs will alert me to it.

Keep positive, a ton of people are now looking for your baby!

rebecca said...

Thank you all so much! You really are keeping my spirits lifted! Bless you all.

And keep checking back here for updates.