Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tuesday 10:52 pm

One more thing, "the city" called today and said that if we did not take all the posters of Bean off of the telephone and electric poles by 1:00 pm on Wednesday, they would fine us FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! I hope that is not a per-flyer charge...

I'm not sure how they are going to enforce this, or how serious they are about the precise time they need to be down, but we are going to go around as soon as we can tomorrow and tear down all the posters. If you happen to be walking by one, and wouldn't mind taking it down for us, that would be great.

I honestly can't even remember where we put them all....

Ugh!! Doesn't the city have anything more important to do??? Like, say...finding my dog!!!

OK , now I really am going to bed.

Rebecca

6 comments:

Kelly Phillips said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly Phillips said...

Steve Medlin is the Director of Planning and Zoning for the City of Durham. I suggest we all (politely) e-mail (steve.medlin@durhamnc.gov) or call him at (919)560-4137 and let him know how the citizens of Durham feel about how the sign ordinance is being applied to "lost dog" posters. It's one thing to regulate solicitations, it's another thing to impede a rescue effort! Not just for Bean, but for any of us who could be in this situation someday.
Here are the pertinent links:
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/planning/
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/planning/udo/pdf/udo_11.pdf

Anonymous said...

Please know that there is a whole community here for you.
Your fliers are too important to take down.
I would suggest you start a fund to help in the efforts - whether it is to pay for fines (if it comes to that) or if you decide to increase the reward.
I don't know you all , but I am in.

Prayers from Chapel Hill

Anonymous said...

I emailed both the mayer and Steve Medlin, if anyone took the time to do this, hopefully they would allow the flyers.

Anonymous said...

And I actually did spell Mayor correct in the email

Anonymous said...

I've contacted the Herald Sun to find out where they are on possibly running Bean's story - and told them about the city's "request" to have the signs taken down. I will keep you posted.

If you are fined by the city, I will contribute towards the payment of the fine - don't take the signs down - they are too important.

Tammy